Building for the future
On the 1st of May 2023 a new update to the National Construction Code came into effect. This is a government requirement for all new homes to meet a minimum energy efficiency rating of 7 stars. We know that changes can be daunting, but we’re here to help you understand the recent updates, and what they mean for you and your new home build.
What changes are happening, and why?
The Australian Government has recently updated the National Construction Code, which will require all new homes in NSW to meet a minimum energy efficiency rating of 7 stars under the Nationwide House Energy Rating Scheme (NatHERS).
These changes are being driven by the government to reduce carbon emissions and make homes more sustainable for the future.
Who will this change affect?
These changes will apply to all new home builds in NSW, regardless of who you choose to build with. The changes came into effect from the 1st May 2023, and will be applied to all new home builds that have not been submitted for a Development Application (DA) or Complying Development Certificate (CDC) by the 1st October 2023.
What impact will this have on your new home build?
At Thrive, we have tested our most popular designs to understand what changes are required to meet a 7 star rating. Some of the notable changes are:
- 2.49kW solar power with every home
- Increasing the insulation rating or extending insulation into new areas (e.g. slab edge, underneath the joists, garage walls, internal walls)
- Double glazed windows to selected windows or all windows in the home
- LED lights
On a positive note, these updates mean you’ll build a better-quality home while also contributing to a cleaner environment and more sustainable future. Your new home will:
- Be more energy efficient, allowing you to enjoy savings on energy bills every year
- Be able to maintain an even indoor temperature year-round due to improved insulation avoiding heating and cooling leakages
- Be less reliant on air-conditioners and heaters
- Have a reduced environmental footprint due to the use of renewable energy
What you need to do
A member of the Thrive Homes team will assist you in meeting the necessary requirements for your home to gain approval.